Saturday, June 30, 2007

Solar Dryer Can Save on Electricity

We at Penny Pinching central are looking for drastic ways to cut the bills this month, really trying to think outside the box. So yesterday, I decided to start using the solar dryer this summer, instead of my electric dryer.

Solar Dryer? -- okay really just a fancy way to say I dried outside using a clothesline. A typical dryer uses 4.7 kWh per load, and on most days I do one load. (Some days two.) With taxes, our electric company (here in Texas, electricity isn't cheap...) charges with taxes 13.299 cents per kWh.

So for 1 load I save about 63 cents, about $18- 19 bucks a month. Probably more with the extra loads. Is it worth it? You bet! It took me about 5 minutes to hang the clothes up on hangers and another 5 to bring them in. But I saved time on folding, because most of them could be moved directly to the closet.

I don't have an officially line yet-- I just hung the hangers on my patio set. But if this works out- maybe I'll string a line inside my fence.

A lot of HOA have rule against clotheslines, so be sure to check your neighborhood first. Most though, just say you can't have laundry hanging in full view. So if you have a fence, that's easy enough to work around.


2 comments:

ConstellaNut said...

Visit http://www.solar-dryer.com if you want to know where to pick one up. A lot of other resources also.

ConstellaNut said...

http://www.solar-dryer.com